arrow heads

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

arrow heads

Postby Ember Kazoo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:19 am

so i have decided to look into taking the bow back up once again and was checking out the various arrow construction methods and rules, i noticed it merely said that the tip had to be an "open celled foam" so my question to all you wonderful people is would this qualify as a bel legal arrow head http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/ima ... um/470.png
Ember Kazoo
Member and Lord of the Kazoo Family
Subservient to the Gesundheit Family
Lords of the ACHOO! lands
Ember Kazoo
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2003
Realm: Anduril
Unit: The Blades
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board, dual, archery
Pronouns: he/him

Re: arrow heads

Postby Dyn » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:20 am

I suppose the first thing I should say is don't link a picture - it doesn't tell anything. I decided to look into the site (I'm in a good mood today) and had to look around a bit until I found this line:

A thick, safe foam tip
Made from durable closed celled foam that does not shred

Sorry Man, looks like you can't use it.

http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-4968-larp-arrows-flat-tip.aspx
Aonaibh Ri Chéile!
Dyn
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 14 Feb 2010
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever's handy

Postby Ember Kazoo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:26 am

sigh oh well at least it saves me 17 bucks lol thank for the info Dyn back to the old style construction i guess
Ember Kazoo
Member and Lord of the Kazoo Family
Subservient to the Gesundheit Family
Lords of the ACHOO! lands
Ember Kazoo
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2003
Realm: Anduril
Unit: The Blades
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board, dual, archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Caleidah » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Fitz Caliston has been making more streamlined versions of Bel arrows for a while that hit great and fly better than the old style, and Barley's arrows are fantastic, too. Fitz probably has a tutorial on them up somewhere.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Fitz Caliston » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:22 pm

why yes, yes I do, last one on the tutorial page of my website http://www.calistonarmory.com

And I sell all the component foams and include a mod-shaft if you want to make your's modular (check with your relm to find out if they allow modular).
Fitz Caliston
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 01 Jul 1999
Realm: SLC UT
Unit: Gryphter

Postby Oznog » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:21 pm

ember kazoo wrote: so my question to all you wonderful people is would this qualify as a bel legal arrow head http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/ima ... um/470.png

Those are IDV heads. They're slightly too small, made of a fairly hard foam, and VERY heavy. No USA LARP that I know of has found them acceptable, although they've done an unprecedented amount of scientific testing to try to show that they're eye-safe.

They're 50mm, which is just under 2". Actually if you put your forefinger on your brow bone and thumb on your cheekbone, you'll generally find something would need to be under 1" to "go in".

Ruleswise, the diameter is slightly undersized, and the rounded front won't comply with Dag/Bel rules.

Personally I think Dag/Bel has absolutely gone the wrong way with their protrusion rules, they don't make an arrow safer. But, there's a lot about the IDV design I don't like outside of that.

IDV did try to make some 2.5" flat-faced arrows for the USA market. They're craptastically wrong, IMHO. The original design used a really heavy, high density foam so it could hold together without a cover or tape and that was heavy in 2" dia and became REALLY heavy in 2.5". Then they added open-cell which isn't actually functional (too soft for a low-speed, high-momentum impact) and flat-faced to to Dag/Bel's strange rules concepts.

So it ended up largely defeating the original design concept and added in nonfunctional design features to comply with all the weird rules concepts. It ends up very heavy and draggy, kind of expensive for the tech ($15), only rated for 30lb bows absolute max, and don't have a cover so they'd still need to be finished to be legal.
Oznog
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Fitz Caliston » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:40 pm

There are plenty of sperical Heads being used in Bel/dag, just use dthe Penn QST opencell tennis ball on the tip, it has a 3.5" diamter so cut in half and placed on top of a 2.5" can/cap it passes template just fine.
Fitz Caliston
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 01 Jul 1999
Realm: SLC UT
Unit: Gryphter

Return to Foam Smithing