Atlantis (Bel/Dag) meets Way of the Sword

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Atlantis (Bel/Dag) meets Way of the Sword

Postby Teej » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:10 pm

Just thought I'd share some pictures from this past weekend. I took my cross-gaming unit to the February WotS Campout. WotS is an organization that has spread like wildfire in the state. The gear and garb is subpar by national standards, but the culture is pretty much spot-on. The rules are similar to Bel/Dag with a lot more breathing room in weapon construction, leading to quite a bit of unsafe weapons. They're cleaning up the organization as of late and encouraging garb by not permitting people to enter tournaments or wear armor without it.

400+ fielded this weekend...

They require morning warmups before the fighting starts for the day... most groups participate. Pictured below is Satsu, Atlantis' friendly in-state rival.

Mokie (left) fights Jessy James (right) in the Women of WotS Tournament, Mokie is probably the coolest / most intense female fighter I've ever seen.

One of the cooler weapons I've seen, I would have loved a chance to fight her... but she only brought it out for controlled tournament environments. She was a pretty badass kunoichi if you ask me... even got slightly in-character with a menacing cat hiss when she closed in on one of her opponents. Lady Jade (Dagorhir's Rome) beat her.

Burke facing another guy in a "champion" round after the other team tried to take it bare knuckles 3 matches in a row ::eyeroll::

Team fishsticks, 5v5 tournament winners.

And for OUR main event, and a long-anticipated battle... 20 Atlanteans vs. ~50 to 60 Satsu.

We did the battle in two formats. The first was a Jap bonzai charge. Atlantis took them down to 8 before the last of us went down. The second battle was a 3-life battle that Atlantis won by utilizing the terrain and situation as best as possible.

All in all, it was a great weekend. WotS is growing as an organization and offers some nasty numbers to fight.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Re: Atlantis (Bel/Dag) meets Way of the Sword

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Looks sweet. I'm glad to see friendly cohabitation. Also, asserting nerd sword fighting dominance. :)

On a side note: What does that sign behind you say?
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:35 am

Whoa. I had no idea there was such a huge event in this state. I hope we can get my Dag group involved in this soon.

Would you be interested in working together on a Bel and/or Dag event in central FL some time in the next year with the intent of drawing comparable numbers out?
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby warwell » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:36 am

The FL Foam Fighter Association is already planning a few events; I'm sure they'd appreciate any assistance and constructive feedback. Check out the FFA home page (http://floridafoamfighters.com/) for a schedule. You may also want to join the FFA facebook group.

YIS,
Rufus of Dragon Coast (Ft Lauderdale)
warwell
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 22 Mar 2008
Realm: WotS Chimera Legion
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword (with stabbing tip) & shield

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:02 am

Hm, I am already in the group, but having a hard time finding a list of events. I'll have to follow the threads in the Fb group more from now on, I suppose.

Seriously, though, it looks like it was an awesome time and I really want to bring my group out for something soon.
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Teej » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:55 am

Here ya go... the FFA has an event AT LEAST monthly. I haven't been to a practice in over a month cause we've had an event nearly every weekend recently. FL is pumping out some serious numbers. The 105-man bridge battle the weekend before last was a killer (the reason I'm on crutches in the unit picture).

http://floridafoamfighters.com/events

Oh, and Peanut, no clue. Probably something about Disney or Universal considering our location. (You can see the fireworks from universal CLEAR at night over the lake)
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ragefire » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:17 pm

Summer Slaughter will probably be in the triple digits, WOTS fighters are liking you guys as well! Thanks for posting pics Teej. And for the kind words about my girlfriend (Mokie).
''Stop running!! You're only going to die tired!!!''
Ragefire
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 13 Oct 2009
Realm: Florida
Unit: The Order
Favorite Fighting Styles: Great Sword

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:40 pm

I want to go to there...
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Todo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:49 pm

When you say 'Bare Knuckles' in regards to the champions tourney, what rules are you talking? Just grappling, or MMA/Boxing style?
Akbar the Foul wrote:If only everyone had my sweet disposition, then we could all get along.

The Steak Jock with Python Arms
**** your petty arguments, I'm here to swing stick and look slick
Todo
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Todoville
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hulk Hands

Postby Ragefire » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:11 pm

The other team was getting hot headed and literally tried to assault Atlantis. This also happened to me in our giant battle the same day, Vikings vs. Japanese/Myrmidons. Sluffing accusations were thrown about and then fists were almost thrown. Luckily Atlantis is cool people and things were sorted out. The troublemakers are being taken care of and all is well for now.
Ragefire
Underling
Underling

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:29 am

Its unfortunate when that happens. I find that many backyard organizations who dont have the history and therefore the depth of fighting levels start getting upset that theyre not as good as they think they are. It might not have been the case. Some groups dont get upset, however.

Oh, and have you ever considered sieging the Disney Castle?
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby Teej » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:35 am

Ragefire wrote:The other team was getting hot headed and literally tried to assault Atlantis. This also happened to me in our giant battle the same day, Vikings vs. Japanese/Myrmidons. Sluffing accusations were thrown about and then fists were almost thrown. Luckily Atlantis is cool people and things were sorted out. The troublemakers are being taken care of and all is well for now.

Yep... I think the other team in the 5v5 was still pretty angry about their entire unit being thrown off the field mid-fight for sluffing. So... they sluff in the 5v5, the heralds were adjusting to rule changes and didn't catch much. They end up restarting the match 3 times, and the other team just keeps getting wrecked despite sluffing - from there, they just resort to poor sportsmanship and one of my guys (dead and walking off the field) gets tackled from behind it almost got nasty pretty quick - after everything settles down, the heralds just pull one guy from each team to determine the match 1v1.

Just a few bad apples, in an otherwise GREAT event.

And *, Disney is way too corporate for that. However, the curator of St. Augustine's Castillo de San Marcos has contacted me about fighting in the fort's courtyard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castillo_de_San_Marcos
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Todo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:40 am

...Darn.
Akbar the Foul wrote:If only everyone had my sweet disposition, then we could all get along.

The Steak Jock with Python Arms
**** your petty arguments, I'm here to swing stick and look slick
Todo
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Todoville
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hulk Hands

Postby Ragefire » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:19 am

I've dreamed of fighting at Disney! WOTS is based on cultures so we could each get our own country at Epcot!!! And the thing is, the people who started the trouble have been doing this for like 5 years, so there's no excuse for thtat kind of behavior.
Ragefire
Underling
Underling

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:11 am

* Teej, y'all make this **** look good.
Too bad bout the punk-ass *. They start **** and get called out for it; it's their own * fault.
Good thing you got such a tight crew to get your back.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby Ragefire » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:32 am

I'll vouch for Atlantis, they are the best friends I've made outside of WOTS. Such cool people, always helpful. And as you can see, their gear looks **** awesome.
Ragefire
Underling
Underling

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:58 am

Teej wrote:And *, Disney is way too corporate for that.

I didnt even think of asking permission. :D
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby Teej » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:31 pm

UPDATE: Here's a video from the same event, they just finished going through footage/editing/etc..

Again, keep in OPEN mind, this is a different sport with different rules. Head shots are legal, garb (as acceptable by Bel/Dag standards) is few and far between - though I can vouch, it has vastly improved since we got them cross-gaming with us.

And you can find more pics of WotS and FL Bel/Dag on Atlantis' FB group.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/ImperialAtlantis
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:49 am

Please elaborate on the headshots. Like, with glaives? Weight restrictions on weapons for headshots? I am having a hard time imagining going out there with my glaive and not hospitalizing people, it would not be safe.... Thanks for the info, I love learning about other ways to do this stuff!

Thrush
berserk
"It's my will, my will is stronger than the other people I play against. I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Wanna Practice in Baltimore?
http://baltimoretuesdaynightfightnight.yuku.com
Thrush Svartehjertet
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 27 Sep 1998
Realm: Ball So Hard University
Unit: The Nidstang

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:00 am

Head-shots are only to the top of the head, and only with single blue. No cranking peeps in the face with a red. I do not believe there are weight-restrictions. They fight hard and scrap hard, with what seems to me to be amtgard-style weapons (4-6oz range) with Belegarth rules but everyone has been hard-lining bath salts.

Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby varadin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:50 pm

looks like a whole lot of lawsuits waiting to happen with those insanely long flails and balls and chains. Looks kinda fun but i bet a lot of the crazy styles will die down when they get some high level of talent out there.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:12 pm

You mean, like, Atlantis?
Don't git yer hopes up
<.<
>.>
nuffin'.

Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:52 pm

FSU has a very active Dag group (about 30 peeps out per week, at least during the school year) in which I am involved, and a smaller WotS group (maybe a dozen fighters?) whose practice I attended once. They are--and I say this with the kindest of intentions--terrible at fighting, but they have fun.

My plan for next year is a) become friends with the Amtgard Triads in Tampa/St. Pete, and b) bring them to a WotS campout, resulting in c) kicking everyone's butts.

Also I hope Slagar shows up, since he's moving to Florida.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Teej » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:29 pm

A number of Albion fighters down in August. I hold my unit in high esteem, but we have work to do - just coming up on our year mark; but ****... WotS is about to meet a bigger fish.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ragefire » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:27 pm

I used to be in a WOTS unit and just recently joined a Bel/Dag unit. Since WOTS has seriously started crossgaming and made friends with Atlantis and other local Beledag units, lots of people are learning. Their biggest issue, in my eyes, is the adherence to single edged blades, the majority don't use wrapshots or even know what they are.
Ragefire
Underling
Underling

Postby Elwrath » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:46 am

dang would be a fun vacation to go to Florida to swordfight. thanks for the info on a different sport
Elwrath
Veteran
Veteran

Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: EBF

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:09 am

Ragefire wrote:the majority don't use wrapshots or even know what they are.

*drools* Sounds like heaven. lol

Thrush
berserk
"It's my will, my will is stronger than the other people I play against. I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Wanna Practice in Baltimore?
http://baltimoretuesdaynightfightnight.yuku.com
Thrush Svartehjertet
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 27 Sep 1998
Realm: Ball So Hard University
Unit: The Nidstang

Postby Ragefire » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Seasoned Beledag fighters have compared fighting in WOTS to playing Dynasty Warriors.
Ragefire
Underling
Underling

Postby Teej » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:34 pm

Ragefire wrote:Seasoned Beledag fighters have compared fighting in WOTS to playing Dynasty Warriors.

:)

They're getting better though... Well, the ones that cross-game. The xenophobes brain-washed by their isolationist former leader... not so much.

I consider myself an average fighter, but fighting in the woods - being blocked at a bottleneck by 5 fighters... busting through my own line in a "get the **** out of my way" manner and lighting them all up without taking a scratch felt pretty * boss. Then I acted like it was nothing till my team mates moved on, thinking to myself "did that really just happen??!?!" Good memories. And... then I tear my ACL in a 105-man bridge battle a month or two later. I'm gonna have so much rust to knock off when I can fight again in Oct.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Slagar » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:50 am

I'm in Miami as of August 1st. I'm actually typing this from Sarasota on vacation, and hitting up the Tampa-area Amt practice tomorrow. I'm pretty game-agnostic, and would love to go swing sticks at these kids. We'll see how well I can make it work out.

Showing up to random third-world groups and seeing which ones are willing to try new things is an old favorite pastime, right Sand Plains? ;-)
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby warwell » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:28 am

Slagar,

When you are in Miami, Dragon Coast (Ft Lauderdale Dagorhir group) would love it if you drove a bit north and visited our practice. If you are interested, pm me and I will send you the details.

YIS,

Rufus of Dragon Coast
warwell
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 22 Mar 2008
Realm: WotS Chimera Legion
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword (with stabbing tip) & shield

Postby Slagar » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:03 am

I'd love to. My apartment is actually gonna be way up in Hallandale, so it won't even be too far a trip. PM me details, please.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports