Potential Projects

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Potential Projects

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:40 pm

Spring approaches and with it another fighting season. The end of the month see us here in the Babylon Empire starting up with our annual Oregon Opener in Tir na nOg with the following weekend our quarterly War College.
I have an * of 9 shields and 20 different weapons ranging from an 8' spear, down to daggers with all variations in between.
So some weapons I'm thinking about making to help supplement the realm's experiance fighting against and with these are flails and javelins.
I'm thinking of making a shorter rope-flail, a medium bag-flail and a max rope-flail but with longer striking surface.
I am thinking of making 2-4 javelins, and I have a ton of 3/8" fiberglass core.
So I was wondering what everyone's thoughts and expeirances with making flails are,
and as well with javelins.
Thanks, and the sooner the better as I'd like to have this ready by the end of March.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Re: Potential Projects

Postby Sluj » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:21 pm

on teh bag flail make sure you sew the bag really good a majoirty of the ones i have seen have fallen apart cuz of the shotty stitching in the bag
For this moment ALONE was I made. Look upon your death, mortals, and despair!
I am the beginning of the end...the shadow which blots out the sun...the bell which tolls your doom...The final shred of light fades, and with it, your pitiful mortal existence! Through the pain and fire my hatred burns! You have no hope!
Sluj
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2009
Realm: aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk-hai an Reavers
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, min red, and glaive

Postby Cheeseheart » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:51 pm

The 3/8ths works well for the javelins but make for pretty **** spears. They'll pass, but in my opinion, the flex is too great for it to work well as a spear, especially when inverted (equivalent of madu when used with a sword).
Sir Cheeseheart the Defiant
Founder of the Sith Empire
2nd Knight of the Western Flame

"I'll take character over reputation..."
Sith Happens
See you at Battle for the Ring XI: Journey to Hyrule
Cheeseheart
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2008
Realm: Korriban
Unit: First Order of the Sith Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: Using the Dark Side

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks, I'm not planning on making a madu or spears with the 3/8" as that sounds like a terrible idea lol.
Thanks for the input tho, don't get me wrong, I appreciate it.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Blitz. » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 pm

Flails are fun and Easy to make. I've made mutiple ones and each one was made outta scrap material i had l had laying around each time. It doesn't take alot of foam which is good.

If you really wanna be a *, Curve the PVC pipe and make it curved. Its even more of a *. Plus its silly and fun to use.

As for the Bag part of the flail.. All i knows is that have a GOOD STRONG STITCH. Mine ripped apart once when i was sparring.. Not at all a pretty site.. Epic Face shot though.. Rock? lol.
Koom Di' Puts wrote:And here I thought the point of the game was to have fun?

Savage wrote: I find that beer often aids in this process.

Ticonderoga wrote:And if all else fails. I'm getting my mom.

Forkbeard wrote:[And]I'm going to continue being a happy sword weilding wierdo until then.
FB
Blitz.
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 10 Mar 2008
Realm: Sunspear
Unit: Silverhelms
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Sir Par » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Remy, sorry I'm late to the table, but here is what Rath does:

We ONLY provide blues and shields as group weapons. These are the basics of fighting and before I have a newb going full bore at me with a red I want him to understand point control.

The blues that we provide are only clubs and swords. Again, having a new person learn point control is a MUST. They won't be able to do that with a flail. One of the things I do with my close friends is that when they hit a year of fighting I make them a flail so they can use it, and understand how it can be used against them.
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Return to Foam Smithing