foam smithing query.

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

foam smithing query.

Postby Christo The BULL » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:36 pm

Could I use expansion foam inside the tube (pvc, or banner pole) cores?

Further, I believe using shaped expansion foam as a " semi-solid" base to join the softer foams to could be a cheaper practice (in theory one could wrap this with "glass" cloth and epoxy creating your own fiberglass similar to the way surfboards are made). One could carve the semi solid "core" into interesting shapes, I believe with proper proportions one could, in theory, Form a reusable "sword base" that requires only softer foam replacement. As flexibility is a concern I can think of one or two methods of making the "core" less rigid. However why bother with a full explanation when the subject could be mote... I am very new to this, and very "crafty" lol, please, your input would be very welcome.
"Oh me, oh life, of the questions of these requiring.
of the endless trains of the faithless. Of city's filled with the foolish. What good are amide these Oh me , Oh life?

Answer: That you are here. that life exists and identity. That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse."
-Walt Whitman.
Christo The BULL
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 07 Jul 1986
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Kenjutsu, Zweihänder.

Re: foam smithing query.

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Christo The BULL wrote:Could I use expansion foam inside the tube (pvc, or banner pole) cores?
Some people fill golf clubs with an epoxy resin so they essentially become regular fiberglass rods. Expansion foam will break and shatter. It will add nothing to any weapon except little pieces that will rattle around. Don't use PVC for cores.

Further, I believe using shaped expansion foam as a " semi-solid" base to join the softer foams to could be a cheaper practice (in theory one could wrap this with "glass" cloth and epoxy creating your own fiberglass similar to the way surfboards are made).
It's not cheaper or less work than a $1.88, 4' length of 1/2" round solid fiberglass from the farm supply store.

One could carve the semi solid "core" into interesting shapes,
That would have stress points on all the angles.

I believe with proper proportions one could, in theory, Form a reusable "sword base" that requires only softer foam replacement.
We already have these. They're called cores.

As flexibility is a concern I can think of one or two methods of making the "core" less rigid.
We want some rigidity to prevent failing the flex rule. Our current, cheap, and accessible cores do this perfectly.

However why bother with a full explanation when the subject could be mote... I am very new to this, and very "crafty" lol, please, your input would be very welcome.
This game has been around decades. Smarter people than either of us have asked the questions and tried everything under the sun. Things like this don't work or aren't worth the time and money required when compared to readily available and cheap, mass produced cores. The whole idea is moot.

Stick with what works. Go out to a practice and speak w/ your vets. Listen lots and absorb. Limit your questions to things they talk about or you see on the field, not these creative ideas of yours. You'll understand why if you listen and think about how the game works.

When you're ready to build, make some swords under a vet's tutelage. When you think you've got the process down, make a dozen. If they all pass, you're ready to start building other conventional weapons and shields. When you can do that regularly, then you're ready to try unconventional stuff in a safe way that doesn't waste time, materials, or money because you understand game and foam smithing mechanics.

Welcome to the game. Be safe, be honorable, and have fun.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Durzo » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:01 pm

You're talking about the insulation and sound proofing stuffs right? Great stuff, something like that? In full contact fighting that sort of stuff evaporates into a fine mist from the force of the swing. Used in shield construction if it is used to edge, bash, or if you are kicked, even r
Redded the spray foam will turn to powder and your shield will be broken for realsies. Stick to what works, no reason to reinvent the wheel.
Durzo
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 20 Oct 2005
Unit: Forsaken
Favorite Fighting Styles: Dirty Shieldman

Postby Christo The BULL » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:55 pm

hhhmmm. i see. However i was merely using the Expansion foam as a shaping base for a fiberglass cores outer shell. if the foam turns to dust it's fine, not using pvc is sound advise... well made, shaped Fiberglas will be fine. stress is always a factor in design and alternating glass weaving should solve most issues... I will be making a lot of strictly regulation swords for practice as well as fighting to establish a base line for my future designs as that is always necessary in creative conceptualization. I also ask if there is a limit to the thickness of liquid latex applied to the inner layers of soft foam within a sword, if allowed at all?
of the endless trains of the faithless. Of city's filled with the foolish. What good are amide these Oh me , Oh life?

Answer: That you are here. that life exists and identity. That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse."
-Walt Whitman.
Christo The BULL
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:12 pm

If by "liquid latex" you mean DAP, there is no limit. Keep in mind that a well built weapon has as little glue or tape as possible to keep it light and uniformly weighted.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Tails » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:45 pm

Don't use liquid latex, don't shape the core.

Liquid latex is nowhere near as good of an adhesive as DAP contact cement is.

Shaping the core makes it weaker and it will break.
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Postby Christo The BULL » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:58 pm

i'm sorry, i should have been more clear. i meant to use the liquid latex as a coating on the blade not an adhesive.

-Walt Whitman.
Christo The BULL
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Guts » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:02 pm

All striking surfaces must have a cloth cover. Non striking Areas may have tape or * whats starting to gain some ground, plastidip
Guts, sometimes Gutz
Sir Guts
Brute
Brute

Location: a box inside a box that is next to another box on top of a third box
Realm: Nightfort
Unit: Brotherhood Of The Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Gross Burger and Dagger

Postby Tails » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:21 am

Christo The BULL wrote:i'm sorry, i should have been more clear. i meant to use the liquid latex as a coating on the blade not an adhesive.

That weapon will fail. There is a little term called slap. Used when someone puts too much tape on the blade of the weapon. Weapons that slap rarely pass.
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sluj » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:39 am

man just make a weapon according to the rules it will be cheap less time consuming and ALOT easier :spear:
For this moment ALONE was I made. Look upon your death, mortals, and despair!
I am the beginning of the end...the shadow which blots out the sun...the bell which tolls your doom...The final shred of light fades, and with it, your pitiful mortal existence! Through the pain and fire my hatred burns! You have no hope!
Sluj
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2009
Realm: aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk-hai an Reavers
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, min red, and glaive

Postby Tails » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:07 am

Sluj wrote:man just make a weapon according to the rules it will be cheap less time consuming and ALOT easier :spear:

Don't listen to sluj, experimenting is always welcome, just know that some of these have been tried, and others are highly likely to fail. I would say stick to what works for now and experimenting by tweaking the accepted norm.
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sluj » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:27 pm

but the experiment has to be within the rules so in all fact i just stating that he should follow the rules....*
For this moment ALONE was I made. Look upon your death, mortals, and despair!
I am the beginning of the end...the shadow which blots out the sun...the bell which tolls your doom...The final shred of light fades, and with it, your pitiful mortal existence! Through the pain and fire my hatred burns! You have no hope!
Sluj
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2009
Realm: aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk-hai an Reavers
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, min red, and glaive

Return to Foam Smithing