Kite spar core for a 32" mace

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Kite spar core for a 32" mace

Postby ImJustKu » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:31 pm

So I recently got a brand new .505 32" kite spar car from ed hellen. I was going to make a speed bat out of it, but then I thought a light and fast mace. Is there and tips or points for it ie pros and cons before I start making it?
ImJustKu
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 12 May 2012
Realm: Alera Of the Monster Coast
Unit: Mountain Merchs
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, flourentine style

Re: Kite spar core for a 32" mace

Postby Triton » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:20 pm

I'm speaking from limited experience here, but from personal experience the only difference between a speed bat and a light mace would be the top heaviness of the mace. I personally like it because it helps power through shots if your'e throwing it right. If you think you want that, then just make sure not to counterweight your weapon that much, if at all. With such a light core though, it might be impossible to get enough weight for the power through effect. In that case, your probably better of with a bat because a mace would just result in a smaller striking surface(it might look a little cooler though). I use .5" solid round fiberglass for mine and they seem to work well, and they are relatively light for their weight. Also, with the core your using, be careful of how you make a handle and/or counterweight because if you do it wrong, you'll create a stress point that will make your weapon very likely to snap. Good luck!
Triton
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2012
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Glaive

Postby Alric » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:21 pm

If by mace you mean a weapon that's not counterbalanced, you'll have difficulty getting it up to weight on a kitespar core. 1/2" solid round fiberglass comes out right around 12-13oz in a 30" cored flanged mace with no weight in the handle.

If on the other hand you mean making a speed bat that's designed to look like a mace, there's no reason that wouldn't work. It's just extra foam for cosmetic effect.
Alric
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 13 Oct 2005
Realm: Angaron
Unit: Drentha
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield, Archery, Javelin

Postby ImJustKu » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Well I mean, out of our fighters used a kite spar mace and it looks and feels great when wielding it. Its properly weighted and it passed for Chaos Wars just fine
ImJustKu
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 12 May 2012
Realm: Alera Of the Monster Coast
Unit: Mountain Merchs
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, flourentine style

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:51 pm

You're just gonna be taking away perfectly good striking surface on your weapon; if you're thinking of using this in your left hand for flo or S&B you're gonna need as much striking surface as possible. You're going to be doing a lot of counter-riposting vs right-handed fighters and you'll find yourself cranking peeps on the forearm and wrist going southpaw.
This is from my experience teaching myself how to fight left-handed for a little over the past two years. I used a 32" mace in my left and after a couple times of missing a good shot because of my haft-padding I decided to go back to full-striking surface.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Return to Foam Smithing