Aether Tube Pros and Cons

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Aether Tube Pros and Cons

Postby Rotten » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:23 pm

Im currently looking into Aether Tube from http://www.warlordsports.com/Gear.aspx
opinions and preferences pros and cons please and thank you.
Rotten
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 03 Dec 2012
Realm: Iron Isles
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine

Re: Aether Tube Pros and Cons

Postby Triton » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:17 pm

I had one of the WS durable swords(which I broke in one day...), but the foam seemed awesome(a lil on the stiff side). Why are you considering the aethertube instead of the duratube? I don't know if you've met him, but Randy would probably be a good guy to ask because I think he has a good amount of experience with Warlord Sports stuff/ he can also give you advice with construction(as can Rev and Bacchus).
Triton
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2012
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Glaive

Postby Dangus » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:36 pm

Rotten wrote:Im currently looking into Aether Tube from http://www.warlordsports.com/Gear.aspx
opinions and preferences pros and cons please and thank you.
Aether tubes are too soft for Belegarth purposes. Duratubes are better, still kind of hard to build a stab tip that won't shear off, though. But, that's the downside of any noodle-tech.

I had one of the WS durable swords(which I broke in one day..)

Did you tell them? I seem to recall Brennon being pretty willing to replace swords that break prematurely. I had a WLS bat from '10 that I got at SKBC, I modified the handle, but the blade held up beautifully, for about 7 months.
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2001
Realm: Tir na nOg
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Set trippin', Rippin', Dippin'.

Postby Triton » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:26 pm

I never got around to emailing him, I tried to salvage the foam, but he used a lot of glue on the build so it was a bust. Just curious, do you think the stab tips are more susceptible to shearing off compared to a bat made by wrapping, or just omni's in general?
Triton
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2012
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Glaive

Postby Dangus » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:09 pm

Triton wrote:I never got around to emailing him, I tried to salvage the foam, but he used a lot of glue on the build so it was a bust. Just curious, do you think the stab tips are more susceptible to shearing off compared to a bat made by wrapping, or just omni's in general?

When building with noodles or "bat fries" all the foam, other than the biscuit for the stabbing tip is stacked directly on top of the blade, more or less unsupported. This creates a stress point, causing foam to shear.
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2001
Realm: Tir na nOg
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Set trippin', Rippin', Dippin'.

Return to Foam Smithing