Puzzle mat foam boxes

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Puzzle mat foam boxes

Postby Matthias - Dun Abhon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:01 pm

I've heard tons of people recommending puzzle mat foam as a good 4lb box material. I've got something that seems to be basically the same thing (feels like 4lb to me, looks like little puzzle pieces, but it came out of a DDR mat, not purchased to be a colorful floor thing). But the pieces aren't long enough to do a box all at once. They'd have to be pieced together to be long enough, and that doesn't seem like it'd be quite as sound as having each side of the box all one piece. Am I mistaken here (maybe because 4lb foam is magical and doesn't have the same problems as ~2lb foam?), or is there something I'm missing?
Matthias - Dun Abhon
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 21 May 2006
Realm: Dun Abhon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and medium round punch shield

Re: Puzzle mat foam boxes

Postby Sir Thurat » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:47 pm

It's perfectly acceptable to have a couple of pieces butted up against each other for your box layer. For longer red weapons, it's almost mandatory to do so due to the length. Both of the reds I've built with puzzle mat are constructed this way, and are holding up well.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Matthias - Dun Abhon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:03 pm

I thought that that was probably the case, I was just wondering about it developing a soft spot there, but I suppose the combination of it being 4lb foam and the fact that it's the box layer make it a non-issue. Thanks!
Matthias - Dun Abhon
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 21 May 2006
Realm: Dun Abhon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and medium round punch shield

Postby Caleidah » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:12 pm

You will want to keep any junctions of box foam as far from the tip as possible, and make sure that there are no adjacent seams in separate pieces. Doing those things will ensure that whatever splits you have do not break down too rapidly.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Sir Thurat » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:42 pm

And, of course, be sure to glue well. EVA tends to absorb DAP pretty quick, so it may take a little extra. Inadequate glueing is a common cause for core detachment. A bit of strapping tape over the seam may help as well (just be sure to sand the tape a bit).
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:54 pm

Thurat wrote:A bit of strapping tape over the seam may help as well (just be sure to sand the tape a bit).
Amen to that. My reds are several years old now and still hit like a champ with no detachment.

Expanding on this topic a bit, using the puzzle floor mat is awesome for a red, especially on band shoppe. My striking layers afterwards go blue, yoga mat, blue, with two additional yoga pieces as stab tips, supported by blue tear drops. Follow Arrakis's jav tut for a biscuit that will never core through and you're gold.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Return to Foam Smithing