New Omni glaive design

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

What are your thoughts about this design?

I like it
No votes
I don't like it
No votes
No need for it with current omni build
No votes

Total votes : 0

New Omni glaive design

Postby Phishstrangler75 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:14 pm

I just test ran my prototype glaive. My new glaive design has one 7.5" handle just above the pommel, one 6" handle another 6"" above the first one, and a large 11.5" handle just beneath the striking surface.

The total handle length is 24.5". The total weapon length is 75", so this glaive should be a legal red.

I came up with the design by finding my most comfortable hand positions on the weapons and leaving those areas unpadded.

This gives 4 different hand positions: First and second positions, first and third positions, second and third positions, and both hands gripped on third position.

If you guys have any concerns or questions please say something in the thread.

At the current moment it is just pool noodle on PVC but I'm going to do a legal build as soon as I get some bandshoppe. Then I'll give you guys a picture.
Until then, here's an illustration.

I am the realm leader for Wrythyk in La Grande and I want to do things right, so please pm me some tips, cautions, insults, or critiques. Thank you.

Brutus wrote: This ruleset wasn't developed in a day. It has been debated and modified ceaselessly for the past 30+ years. Often the reasons behind certain rules do not become obvious until you try to fight without them.
Phishstrangler75
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2007
Realm: Wrythyk
Favorite Fighting Styles: Quarterstaff, florentine, speedbat

Re: New Omni glaive design

Postby Cyric » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:54 pm

i would fail that thing in a second. Bare handle next to striking surface is a big no-no. it won't take much movement on either person's part for you to crack someone with core.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Xemeo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:12 pm

You can still hold it on the haft padding. There is no need for the exposed core so far up.
Started up again...May 2008.
Xemeo
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 2003
Realm: Dunharrow

Postby Phishstrangler75 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Kind of a continuation of a previous conversation discussing the amount of wear on haft padding caused by grabbing it.

Cyric wrote:i would fail that thing in a second. Bare handle next to striking surface is a big no-no. it won't take much movement on either person's part for you to crack someone with core.

Realized that after posted. A much more logical way to avoid damaging haft padding would be to canvas or coat it with something that would prevent grabbing it from breaking it down.

What would you recommend using to toughen up the padding?
I am the realm leader for Wrythyk in La Grande and I want to do things right, so please pm me some tips, cautions, insults, or critiques. Thank you.

Brutus wrote: This ruleset wasn't developed in a day. It has been debated and modified ceaselessly for the past 30+ years. Often the reasons behind certain rules do not become obvious until you try to fight without them.
Phishstrangler75
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tails » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Why do you want to toughen up the padding? The haft padding on my glaive is still good, and I've been rocking the thing for 2+ years.
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Postby Phishstrangler75 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:44 pm

Celtic Christ wrote:The only issue with a polearm design like that is the haft padding required.
1.4.2.3. The maximum handle length for Class 2 Weapons is eighteen (18) inches or one-third (1/3) of the overall length, whichever is greater. This cannot exceed one-half (1/2) of the overall length.
You can do the haft padding to where you can grip close to the head but it can cause extra wear on it. Just things to keep in mind while building it.

That's the quote that inspired me to start this thread.

Phishstrangler75
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tails » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:58 pm

Right, but have you held a current tech glaive? the haft padding isn't cumbersome at all; I'm trying to figure out what the issue is.
Last edited by Tails on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Phishstrangler75 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:08 pm

Actually no. And that is a problem.

No point in trying to improve on something you don't know anything about.

Phishstrangler75
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tails » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:22 pm

I work, with a long non omni glaive 8' and have no issues when choking up. I've also worked with the omni 7' and omni 6'. They have the same haft padding as the 8'.

Also, I've never had to choke up all the way to the base of the blade, so I dunno why you want that part exposed.
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Cyric » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:06 am

you should probably worry about figuring out what foam to use on the striking surface and making sure that's safe, before you move the haft padding around and call it your "new design."
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Newwwwwwwb please send me pms with your questions rather than posting them up here for everyone to see; your newb is showing and you should be ashamed. And I'll be a lot more gentle than most.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Cyric » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:02 pm

Phishstrangler75 wrote:No point in trying to improve on something you don't know anything about.

This is the smartest thing you've said in this thread. Take your own advice. Learn the basics before you go trying to change the game.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Phishstrangler75 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:20 pm

I read Remy's response and blushed beet red...
I won't...
I won't...
Pleasedon'thurtmeIwon'tdoitagainIpromise!!!

pant pant...

I'm a NEWWWBBB!

:'(

Phishstrangler75
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Foam Smithing