Could use some garb help...

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Could use some garb help...

Postby Dan of Nightfort » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:54 am

Ok so I have been fighting for a while and still do not have any garb. I know, I know, I really should have done this a long time ago and I have been dropping the ball..

Anyways, I really like the Viking look, but I also like to surcoat and heraldry look, and I also really like the Gaelic/Celtic designs. I am not history expert, believe me.

Here are some links to stuff I like:

Surcoat- http://corvustristis.wordpress.com/2010 ... a-surcoat/

Celtic Designs (it's ok if there is some fantasy elements in this one) - http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fPV8CJaKDDM/T ... arrior.jpg
I really like the cloak in the picture and would like to do something like that with celtic looking trim.

Things I would like to wear:
-I would like to have some belt flags with my families heraldry and maybe some celtic knots and designs (my family is Irish, Gleason, O'Glaissainne if you want to know the gaelic for it).
-I would like to have some sort of surcoat, probably mostly gray, considering my last name means "of the color gray." Black trim maybe.
-I have black cloth covering my weapons and shields and I plan on doing some applique on my shield some time soon to match the look I am going for, but that can hold off until later. I really like how some of the knights have heraldic designs on their shields. Would it be a no no for me to do something similar on my round shield?
-I have a chainmaille shirt that is short sleeved and down to just above my knees with a horseman's slit in the front. This can be changed very easily to match the rest of the costume.
-I have black-dyed leather greaves.

Any thoughts on where to start? I am pretty open and an not concerned that it's entirely historically accurate, although that would be nice. I am considering starting with a Bocksten tunic based on Alric's tutorial for a start. What about a darker gray one with this trim? http://www.cloakmaker.com/trims/gray_bl ... icfish.JPG

Thanks in advance and sorry about the text block! You guys are always so helpful. :axes: :axes: :axes:
Dan, Lord Commander of Nightfort, Barrington IL
Dan of Nightfort
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Nightfort - Barrington IL
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield

Re: Could use some garb help...

Postby Kyrian » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:20 pm

afterimagedan wrote:Ok so I have been fighting for a while and still do not have any garb. I know, I know, I really should have done this a long time ago and I have been dropping the ball..

Anyways, I really like the Viking look, but I also like to surcoat and heraldry look, and I also really like the Gaelic/Celtic designs. I am not history expert, believe me.

Here are some links to stuff I like:

Surcoat- http://corvustristis.wordpress.com/2010 ... a-surcoat/

Celtic Designs (it's ok if there is some fantasy elements in this one) - http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fPV8CJaKDDM/T ... arrior.jpg
I really like the cloak in the picture and would like to do something like that with celtic looking trim.

Things I would like to wear:
-I would like to have some belt flags with my families heraldry and maybe some celtic knots and designs (my family is Irish, Gleason, O'Glaissainne if you want to know the gaelic for it).
-I would like to have some sort of surcoat, probably mostly gray, considering my last name means "of the color gray." Black trim maybe.
-I have black cloth covering my weapons and shields and I plan on doing some applique on my shield some time soon to match the look I am going for, but that can hold off until later. I really like how some of the knights have heraldic designs on their shields. Would it be a no no for me to do something similar on my round shield?
-I have a chainmaille shirt that is short sleeved and down to just above my knees with a horseman's slit in the front. This can be changed very easily to match the rest of the costume.
-I have black-dyed leather greaves.

Any thoughts on where to start? I am pretty open and an not concerned that it's entirely historically accurate, although that would be nice. I am considering starting with a Bocksten tunic based on Alric's tutorial for a start. What about a darker gray one with this trim? http://www.cloakmaker.com/trims/gray_bl ... icfish.JPG

Thanks in advance and sorry about the text block! You guys are always so helpful. :axes: :axes: :axes:

At the end of the day, it doesn't have to be exactly period although it definitely helps if you can replicate the drape and "look" of medieval garments, a perspective I call "medieval-ish". A tunic can be a great place to start and can be the foundation or stand-alone garment depending on the look you want to achieve. Historically, the tunic (and variants thereof) was used throughout much of medieval history. Keep in mind that what makes an outfit "medieval-ish" is often built on the materials, layers, and the accessories you use to create it.

For example, you could put together a Viking outfit by using the Bocksten tunic by itself. Add a belt, winingas, and a pouch to help complete the look. From there, you could put the maille on top of the tunic along with the surcoat and greaves to make the look more crusader-like. Adding a maille coif helps to complete the look along with some gauntlets, the belt, and the pouch. One other thing to look at is how footgear can really help complete the outfit. Check out http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/period-footwear.html for some examples.

Here's an example of an early 14th century maille, surcoat, and coat of plates from one of the Osprey books:

As far as having heraldry on your shield, that really depends on the traditions of your realm. If you're not sure, you might want to find out. If your realm doesn't have any restrictions in place, then represent your heraldry all you want. That's the point of it...making you easily identifiable on the field.

Hope this helps.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Dan of Nightfort » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Yes, it was definitely helpful.

What about this:

-basic T-tunic under the maille
-grey surcoat with the black and grey celtic trim on it over the maille(would this be ridiculously non-historical?)
-long belt with heraldry flag and pouch of some sort
-Maille coif (I have one of these also)
-sew some basic black pants from one of the tutorials around
-black greaves
-shield with heraldry if my realm accepts it.

What's making it hard for me is the fact that I like some elements from different cultures. I like the celtic/gaelic stuff mainly to represent my family and heritage, I like the Bocksten tunic a lot and Viking stuff (is the Bocksten tunic too Viking for a gaelic/celtic themed outfit?), and I really like the surcoat over armor and heraldry (as long as my realm allows). I really don't want to be stepping on the toes of the knights who have worked hard for their rank in this society. Does the above list seem reasonably?
Dan, Lord Commander of Nightfort, Barrington IL
Dan of Nightfort
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Nightfort - Barrington IL
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield

Postby Kyrian » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:50 pm

afterimagedan wrote:Yes, it was definitely helpful.

What about this:

-basic T-tunic under the maille
-grey surcoat with the black and grey celtic trim on it over the maille(would this be ridiculously non-historical?)
-long belt with heraldry flag and pouch of some sort
-Maille coif (I have one of these also)
-sew some basic black pants from one of the tutorials around
-black greaves
-shield with heraldry if my realm accepts it.

What's making it hard for me is the fact that I like some elements from different cultures. I like the celtic/gaelic stuff mainly to represent my family and heritage, I like the Bocksten tunic a lot and Viking stuff (is the Bocksten tunic too Viking for a gaelic/celtic themed outfit?), and I really like the surcoat over armor and heraldry (as long as my realm allows). I really don't want to be stepping on the toes of the knights who have worked hard for their rank in this society. Does the above list seem reasonably?

That sounds pretty good especially for putting together your first kit. If you're concerned that you're putting together a mishmash of elements from different periods, your list sounds like a good enough foundation for several different kits each with the themes you've mentioned, i.e., Viking, Celtic, and crusader-ish. If never hurts (well, except maybe from a time and financial standpoint) to have multiple kits, especially at multi-day events.

As far as stepping on toes, I wouldn't worry about it. There are quite a few people who choose to represent their personal heraldry on their garb and equipment who aren't knights. Bottom line: heraldric displays are not only the purview of knights in Belegarth. I need to qualify that statement, however, if the traditions in your area reserve those displays for knights.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb