First try at a Leather Bracer

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

First try at a Leather Bracer

Postby Mordekiem » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:00 am

So my friends and I have been playing for a few months now and decided we would work on some small bits of armor. So we pooled our cash and I got a piece of leather.

Here is my first attempt at a pretty basic lace up bracer.

I think it looks pretty decent for a first try. However, my problem is the eyelets/grommets. The ones I got were large enough diameter for lacing, but would not go all the way thru the leather to attach. Most of these go about halfway thru the leather and then just cut into the leather itself to kind of hold itself in. Doesn't seem to me like they will last well and definitely not what I expected.

So my question is, what eyelets/grommets do people use or do they use something completely different or just don't use any at all?

Thanks for any feedback or responses!
Mordekiem
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2013

Re: First try at a Leather Bracer

Postby Derian » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:04 am

That's definitely something to keep an eye out for. For most 'normal' leatherwork, the thickness of leather we use for armor is much, much more than you typically see. For grommets (and rivets, snaps, chicago screws, etc.), you need to keep an eye out for the shank length to make sure it will accommodate thicker leather.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of lacing -- I prefer straps & buckles. They're much easier to take off and put on and generally aren't subject to wearing down as much as lacing.

Looks pretty good for a first try!
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Sir Anastasia » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:02 am

One thing you can do with lacing is to replace it with elastic cord once you have the bracers shaped to your arm. It usually looks the same as string, but lets you slide gear on and off with ease.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Kyrian » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:16 pm

Another option might be d-rings. Use these:

at each point where you have a grommet. Note: They would work a little better since you can rivet them to the leather.

and then put a double d-ring at one end at the bottom (on forearm) of the bracer:

Tie off the strap at the top (towards the wrist) and then run the strap in a criss-cross fashion through the d-rings. At the bottom feed the strap through both rings and then through one so it looks like this:

What this allows you to do is tighten the bracer using only other one hand to pull the strap through.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Mordekiem » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:33 am

Thanks. Those are some great ideas and some good feedback.

:)
Mordekiem
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Mordekiem » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:34 pm

Sir Anastasia wrote:One thing you can do with lacing is to replace it with elastic cord once you have the bracers shaped to your arm. It usually looks the same as string, but lets you slide gear on and off with ease.

This worked perfectly! I ordered some elasticord and it arrived today.

I also made a second pair of bracers with a little more forearm protection. The showlaces are just for shaping. I will replace them with elsaticord once I get my brother to test them out.

Mordekiem
Recruit
Recruit

Return to The Armory