Joining a Unit

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Joining a Unit

Postby Daereth Felle » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:42 pm

Hello, I am from a new Realm in South Eastern Iowa, and recently attended my/our first event (WPO) and I noticed that there was a part for Unit battles, however I have been able to find only limited info on joining a Unit. I was wondering if there were any Norse Units around my area, or what would it take to start one up myself?
I am the Dark Raider, Pirate of Knowledge.

Knowledge is Power, and I intend to be very powerful indeed....
Daereth Felle
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 07 Oct 2014
Realm: Southern Eyrie
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine

Re: Joining a Unit

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:42 am

Starting your own unit just takes work and passion. I think taking a look at units that are around can give you ideas about what you like and what you don't like, and then those people can advise you on how to create something that fits with your goals and values.

The same people can probably tell you what it takes to join a unit - it's different stuff for each one. Units are basically a group of people with some shared philosophy that fight and socialize together. It could be centered around a theme, fighting prowess, group history, or just a group of friends with an idea that they like.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Sir Thurat » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:27 pm

To add to what Sir Ana said, I would also jump over to the Bel Wiki (geddon.org) and check out the "Units" category. Read some of those unit pages and see exactly what it is they say about themselves, and see if that gives you an idea of what you really need to have to create a unit. As far as bureaucratic stuff goes, there isn't any red tape; if you find something you want to make, make it.

To give you some guidance on what pages to look at, some of the more active units currently in Bel are: House Hellhammer, Brotherhood of the Falcon, Sons of Silas, House Dregoth, Clan of the Hydra, and the Amyr. I haven't read all of their pages, but they should have enough information up to give you an idea of what active units are up to.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Caleidah » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:34 pm

Thurat wrote:To give you some guidance on what pages to look at, some of the more active units currently in Bel are: House Hellhammer, Brotherhood of the Falcon, Sons of Silas, House Dregoth, Clan of the Hydra, and the Amyr. I haven't read all of their pages, but they should have enough information up to give you an idea of what active units are up to.

Hi, I'm the leader of Sons of Sylas.

To add to what the others have said, I recommend that you not rush into joining a unit. Take your time to meet people, find out what you want from Belegarth, and make some friends. It can really pay dividends to take your time and really find the right place. Spend a year or so just fighting and meeting people.

Until you find a unit to join (or start your own), you can join the multitude of other unitless folks in Sampler Platter. At most (all) events, when units get called, the heralds will help organize unitless folks into one massive group. At big events like Oktoberfest, Sampler Platter can climb as high as sixty people. It is a blast and helps you meet a ton of people.

If you have any deeper questions, post them here or feel free to throw me a PM. I'd be happy to share any resources I have with you.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Return to New Members