Unit Question

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Unit Question

Postby Kester » Wed May 04, 2016 7:06 am

OK, I have done a search on the boards for an answer to this, but I can't seem to find one so here it goes: A new group of people want to start a realm. I would like them to be part of our realm, they are more than 20 miles away. Can they be part of our realm with semi-autonomy? -Kester Toll
-Kester Tol
Wardville Upon Nolan
The Griffin's Fighting Company
The Order of the Rose
Kester
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 06 Jun 1999
Realm: The Griffins Fighting Company
Unit: Order of the Rose
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery.

Re: Unit Question

Postby Reverend » Wed May 04, 2016 10:33 am

Kester wrote:OK, I have done a search on the boards for an answer to this, but I can't seem to find one so here it goes: A new group of people want to start a realm. I would like them to be part of our realm, they are more than 20 miles away. Can they be part of our realm with semi-autonomy? -Kester Toll

They are that far away - why do they want to start their own realm as opposed to be part of your's?

There's arguments for and against it on either side. With two realms in close conjunction, you're splitting the foam fighting population - but (and I speak from experience) sometimes that 20 mile trip can be an hour plus travel time or more if they rely on public transit.

If I had to pack up my gear and ride the bus to the next nearest practice to me, it would easily be a 2 hour trip and I * well wouldn't do that.

Additional thoughts to consider, why not support them in their new realm? Be the big brother/big sister type and raid them. Offer them help with getting off the ground.

A lot of new realms tend to die due to lack of support/experience/proper leadership and if you have close ties with the group - if they go belly up, you are already primed to absorb any of their players that might otherwise drift.
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Brutus » Wed May 04, 2016 8:04 pm

Like Reverend, I have some questions.

The first question I'd ask, is do they want to be a part of your realm, or do their own thing? It will almost always be better not to pressure them into "joining" your realm if they aren't keen. Your groups are close enough that you can't afford to alienate what is likely your nearest neighbor through heavy-handedness. Your only recourse is really to do things so excellently and be so nice that they want to join you, if that isn't their current desire.

Second, I'd like to point out that none of this really matters unless and until your group(s) decide to seek representation in Belegarth's War Council. The rules are really there to prevent ballot-box stuffing through the use of pseudo-realms (one realm that claims to be multiple realms in order to get more votes).

A note on terminology. A unit is typically a group of people who choose to affiliate themselves. Some units exist solely inside one realm, and other units span multiple realms. Belegarth as an organization does not officially recognize units, and they have no standing in War Council. Unofficially, units play a very large role in Belegarth, and even host large camping events. A realm on the other hand is an organizational unit that exists in a specific location, has regular meetings, and can have standing in Belegarth's War Council, which votes on the rules that govern the sport (by-laws and book of war).

My counsel with the limited information available would be to play this as coolly as possible. If there is any bad blood, it should be your primary goal to resolve the issues at the root of the problem. If there isn't bad blood, you should do everything in your power to avoid creating any. These are your neighbors and even if you don't travel to each others' practices, the realities of geography mean that these people will be the most likely to go to the same events as you. You'll see them more than you see anyone else in the sport. If you have a bad relationship with them, it will drive away recruits to both realms who eschew drama, and typically these types of people will be the backbone of your realm as they are usually older and more mature.
Brutus
Only .3% Short Of Perfect
Only .3% Short Of Perfect

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1999
Realm: Riverbend
Unit: Henneth-Annun

Postby Sir Anastasia » Thu May 05, 2016 6:13 pm

I wholeheartedly concur with the posts above.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting